Friday, August 17, 2012

Blow. Shit. Up. and men's cut polos


August 17, 2012

Let me catch you up on a few little details regarding my life and where I grew up.

I am the younger of my parent's two children and they had me in case my older brother, Brian, needed a kidney. True story. My brother is brilliant, my dad is an asshole and my mother worries enough for the whole family. I went to school in a town called Talihina, OK. It is famous for.... I will get back to you on that, but the band, Kings of Leon, frequent this little gem and have a song and documentary titled "Talihina Sky." Yes, that is where I live.

Now, I may have gone to school and lived in Talihina, but my home is Red Oak. Red Oak is 16 miles north of Talihina. I can't begin to express my love for this town. The cell service is terrible. There isn't a store with the exception of the EZ-Mart and the Rock Store (has the coldest pop in town) and the town police officer is referred to as "Bob Law." You can park in the middle of the road and drive 4-wheelers, Rangers, and golf carts down Main Street without fear of a ticket. The graduating class is never more than 20 students and everyone goes to the home basketball games.
To me, it is a mix of Mayberry and Stars Hallow.
I love it.

You may be asking, "Why in the hell is she telling me this?" I am telling you this because of what I did last night in Red Oak.

After I got off of work I went to work out and tan. I picked up the AWESOME metal letters (yesterday's blog) and headed to RO to deliver one of the Ks to my cousin Dru. She lives on our family farm in the community of Boggy and was in town with her children for a "play date." I pick up my Aunt Jodie (future blog subject) and we go to see Dru. Upon our arrival, we see a pack of children running around the yard. Some without shoes, others without shirts and my dear, sweet little girly girl cousin, Quincee, wearing her brother's pajamas because they have sharks (it is shark week you know).

My aunt and I get out of my car and Dru says, "Watch this!" and we turn around to see a pop bottle fly through the air and explode. At this point I think, "They are high on bath salts." Dru proceeds to tell me her friend and her friend's ex-husband (small town, right) are putting the cleaning solution "The Works" and tin foil in a plastic bottle and shaking it until a reaction starts to happen and then BOOM! Shit goes flying everywhere and the kids running around cheering. What else are we supposed to do on a Thursday night? Blow. Shit. Up.

Bob Law attempts to come check on what all the ruckus is, but realizes Jodie is standing in the road with all the commotion (she is the self-appointed mayor of Red Oak) and proceeds to turn around. A few more bottles are blown up and then a paintball gun is brought into the picture and I decide it is time to leave.

The joys of living in a small town.

Note on my outfit for the day. I work at a small two-year community college and on Friday of each week the employees can either wear regular office attire or jeans and a polo (It is a fucking men's cut polo. Not happy.). Today, I decided to go this route with wearing jeans and Sperrys. I had to do a lot of running around and organizing.



I will be blogging throughout the weekend at our families lake house.
I will try to introduce my family through the rediculous events and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment